Monday, March 9, 2009

Musings On International Women's Day

Happy International Women's day!

No, I'm not making that up- it's actually been around since 1911, but I haven't heard of it until... well about 5 minutes ago, honestly.

Sometimes I get so wrapped up in our culture I forget what goes on outside this little bubble of technology, hipster moms, and tranny bars. There are billions of women whose culture is a mystery to me, whose struggles I'll never understand. There are 8 year olds having their clitoris cut off, there are 12 year olds bearing children. Jesus, I'm 20 and I can't even bear a relationship. In comparison my trials seem so trivial and my complaints frivolous. But I guess that isn't fair. We can't blame ourselves for the circumstances of others. I guess all we can do is educate ourselves and try to gain a little perspective. And maybe, with enough knowledge and drive we can build up the courage to act.

So here are some interesting statistics about women internationally:



While it's important to reflect, I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer. There's no reason why we shouldn't celebrate this holiday. So now that you have an excuse, cut off a slice of that chocolate cake you bought when you were PMSing and pour yourself some bubbly. 

A toast: to women everywhere.
Cheers.


No comments:

Post a Comment