Thursday, February 12, 2009

Six Facts About Women

Here are a few common misconceptions and additional fun facts about women.

1) Women have bodily functions. That's right. We poop, fart, and burp. I can't believe I even have to write this, but you'd be amazed how many men would like to believe otherwise. And for some reason it's always more grotesque when a woman does any of the above. Well guess what, men? It's pretty nasty when you shit too. 

2) Women don't glow, they sweat. We are human! We are athletic. We like to push our bodies and be physical and active. We get pit stains and our hair gets frizzy and it feels amazing. So my apologies if I have mascara on my cheek. 

This one's my favorite.
3)Women Masturbate. By God, women masturbate. Often more than men, due to the beauty of the multiple orgasm. I know women who tell men they never masturbate but confide in their friends that they actually do. The fact that they feel the need to lie is appalling to me. Female masturbation should not be taboo. It's healthy and totally normal.

4)Women get their period. It's not gross. It just is. Every woman between the age of 13 and 50 has it  for one week of each month. That's almost a quarter of our lives! And here's a question: Why should I have to go to a pharmacy to buy a tampon? Having my period is not a medical condition! When I asked the street vendor on 72nd street if he had a tampon there was no need for him to get uncomfortable. And frankly, he should've sold them. I shouldn't have to find a duane reade- Im not buying medicine. 

5)Women get yeast infections. It sucks, but it shouldn't be any more embarrassing than an ear infection. It's not an STD. It's a build up of sugar. Almost all women will have had at least one and I don't see any reason why it has to be kept so hush hush. You treat it. It's done. No big

6)Women like sex. We're not doing it to please men. We actually like it. The media fully covers how eager men are to get laid (um, American Pie?). Well we are just as eager. We are sexual creatures. Human beings love being touched. Why should women be any different?!



So there you have it. I just needed to get that off my chest. And I hope I live to see the day when a woman can stand atop a mountain and yell to the valley below, "I have my period! Does anyone have a tampon?!"




3 comments:

  1. Hey Danielle!
    First of all, long time no speak!! How the hell are ya? Second of all, I think it's really awesome that you're doing this blog and as a Gender studies major i'm definitely going to be reading it!
    I think you're absolutely right about all of these 'six facts', but I do think it's also important to point out that some women (i.e. transwomen) do not actually get their period, but this does not make them any less of a woman or make their experiences as a woman any less significant or important to the feminist movement.

    -val

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Val! And yeah its been forever! I'm good...Shauna and I were bitching about gender relations last night so i decided to start this blog at like 2am lol How are you?

    And I agree with you 100% and definitely don't want to exclude transwomen. So to clarify, not all women have their periods-that was a generalization. Transwomen, women who have had hysterectomies, post-menopausal women, and others do not get their period, but they are all just as much a woman as anyone else!

    ReplyDelete